Friday, August 8, 2008

Rained out Rodeo

When it comes to "country", the only thing Alex and I have in common is Rodeo. I own a cruddy ole' city slicker cowboy hat and a long sleeve shirt with mother of pearl buttons that I keep around just for rodeo season. A shirt, a hat, and the rodeo are the only things "country" about me. Alex tried to get me wearing tight pants and cowboy boots, she even tried to teach me how to country dance, but she failed on all fronts. (Sorry honey, sort of)

This summer has brought some interesting rodeo experiences for
us. At the first one we went to back in early July-ish we saw a cowboy get bucked off his horse and break his femur. There are a myriad of 4 letter words that work to describe the cowboys situation. Oops, ouch, pain, and holy crap were the words I was thinking of. Which words were you thinking about? Usually cowboys get up off the ground without any problem, but not this one, obviously. The paramedics came, splinted the leg, administered morphine (which made us all feel better), and hauled him off in an ambulance. I've never seen a cowboy too hurt to not walk out of the arena. I'd just as soon never see it again.

Next came the FAMOUS Preston Nights Rodeo. I've always wondered if it really is famous or if they just called it famous and nobody disagreed. Prior to the rodeo Alex and I rode in the famous parade with the rest of the ARS crew. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed throwing fire ball candy to the little kids that looked like they had a competitive disadvantage compared to the older greedy kids. In a way I view myself as the robin hood of the parade circuit. I was also able to enjoy the truly famous (I'm not kidding around this time) corn dogs that are offered from a silver trailer with red lettering on it. I swear they weigh 2 pounds each and smothered in catchup are the best fair food in the world. The rodeo was okay for me but probably not worthy of fame. Alex kept laughing at me because I developed some kind of nerve pain that went from my knee to my cheek, yes, that cheek. She obviously doesn't understand what it's like to grow old, yet. It hurt really bad and would only go away when I stood up. For three hours I looked like the only one participating in the wave. It's okay, it's a famous rodeo, right?

Last night, Aug 7, was the Cache County Rodeo and the only rodeo to which we brought a camera. The theme was supposed to be "out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary". It should have been, "out of the ordinary and into the odd". The first indication we were in for an unusual night was when one of the rodeo royalty fell off her horse while it was on a dead run. We also saw a horse get tripped up by a rope, another slide down in the dirt, two others collide and hit the ground in big pile of man and beast, and another freaked out in the buckin' shoot. Another theme of this rodeo was "don't rope your calf", or "don't stay on your horse". I have never seen so many mis-thrown ropes in all my life. I don't find the roping competitions ultra exciting but I found out they are excitement vacuums when the cowboys only rope air. All in all it was a tough night to be a cowboy. Yet another theme could have been "out of the dry and into the wet". I won't complain about this one. We've been praying for rain so I won't complain about when we get it. Actually we all had fun getting soaked and walking back to the car (before the rodeo ended) in the puddles, thunder, and lightening.

In the pictures you'll see me and Alex as well as some of our friends. Nisha, the one wearing my cowboy hat, is from India and had never been to a rodeo before. I think she liked it and we can't wait to take her to another one where she can see some bull riding. That's the best event if you ask me.

All in all, we like rodeos, although we sure do wish the rodeo tour will go better next year. As for Sterling's cowboy hat... well lets just say, it's seen better days. Hopefully by next summer's rodeos, we'll have a REAL cowboy hat for him, so he can feel like a REAL cowboy!


3 comments:

Bry n Dani Family said...

Tut tut looks like rain. I am jealous. We look forward to fun times in the fall. Three more weeks. Let's go to the Sept Demo Derby! Your blog looks awsome by the way!

Josh C. said...

Oh, and could you not post my email? Trying to cut down on the amount of spam I get, thanks!

Seth and Kara Farnsworth said...

Hey this is Kara Farnsworth, I was Alex's room-mate and high school friend. etc. etc. etc. I am most excited to be able to keep in touch with you two. We are at the-farnsworths.blogspot.com